Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Beginning

Tommorrow will truly begin my work with SIL. This week I'll stay with Willy, a translator, and accompany him to his translation work in a Bidayuh Kampung, or village. Seeing the tranlation work in progress excites me, although they are "proofing" the translation this week so it'll not be the same as a typical translating week. Nonetheless I'm very eager to begin to see how this work will transpire. I'll also hopefully be able to see the school where I will hopefully do some construction projects.
This week will see a daily commute from where Willy lives in Kuching to the kampung. It will take about 30 minutes, so it really isn't very far away. Kuching as it grows engulfs some of the surrounding kampungs and thus many traditional villages are located near the city.
In the eveningings I'll be doing some preparation work for my time in Kota Kinabalu. Willy will be introducing me to the dictionary software that Didi, the man I'll help later, uses. I hope this learning experience will also begin to give me insight into some of the linguistical aspects of translation and language development.
So to sum it all up it seems tomorrow will be a sort of beginning to what brought me to Malaysia, and I excitedly look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment